PlayStation 3PS3 Emulators
About the PlayStation 3 and PS3 Emulators
The PS3 started slowly with both the Nintendo Wii and the Xbox 360 launching a year before the PS3, while this hurt it in the short time it gave more will to Sony to push there console hard. Leading to the console having some of the greatest video games of all time, such as the excellent Metal Gear Solid IV, the Uncharted series, and The Last of Us, this is among a plethora of other highly successful and highly regarded games.
However the delayed launch was not the only negative point to the PS3, while it included much more powerful GPU and CPU then its two competitors, there was a significant flaw with the hardware. That being it was incredibly hard to program for with Sony choosing to make use of the powerful but complex Cell processors. This made it difficult for companies to develop for the console especially near the start of the generation as most companies didn’t have the chance to work out the best way to utilize the processor.
This cell processor is also what makes emulating the PS3 extremely difficult, many people thought it would make emulation of the PS3 unachievable. However these doubts were put to rest when PS3 Emulator RPCS3 was released by DH & Hykem, it proved that emulation of the complicated Cell architecture could be achieved. This was an extremely remarkable and impressive achievement. Over 5 years on from its initial release, RPCS3 is now even managing to emulate actual commercial games and get in game, and even be playable at some decent speeds.
PlayStation 3 Specifications
- Processor: Cell Microprocessor (PowerPC based)
- Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
- Cores: 1 PowerPC Based core, six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements(SPEs), One SPE dedicated to OS and security, eighth core is left unused to ensure production yields.
- Co-Processor: Emotion Engine (1st Generation only, used for PS2 emulation)
- Co-Processor Speed: 294.912 MHz
- Memory (RAM): 256 MB Rambus XDR DRAM
- Wireless: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
- Processor: RSX ‘Reality Synthesizer’
- Processor Speed: 550 MHz
- Co-Processor: “Graphics Synthesizer” (1st and second gen only, used for PS2 emulation)
- Co-Processor Speed: 147.456 MHz
- VRAM: 256 MB GDDR3
- Resolutions: Up to 1080p output
- Vertex-Shader pipelines: 8 parallel
- Pixel-shader pipelines: 24 parallel
- Pixel Rendering pipelines: 8